Family to Family Classes
What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
- The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 8-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
NAMI’s Family-to-Family class is the only class of its kind included in SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices.
Schedule / Sign Up
Classes begin Wednesday, October 2, and the last class will happen November 20. Class times are 6pm-8:30pm and will be held at the NAMI Lowcountry office, 29 Plantation Park Drive, Suite 204, Bluffton, SC 29910. Register or get more information below.
You can also call (843) 636-3100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register or get more info. Space is limited, so contact us today!
A tribute video containing moving testimonials about the NAMI Family-to-Family program from family members and course instructors.
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem-solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
How can I find a course in my area?
View the current Family-to-Family course schedule on our Calendar.
For further information, please inquire by contacting email@example.com
“Family members who take the NAMI Family-to-Family course are better equipped to work with mental health clinicians in a collaborative manner. My bottom-line recommendation? Take this course. It will help you learn to cope successfully with a major challenge in your life, and that, in turn, will help your loved one as he or she works toward recovery.”
— Peter Weiden, M.D., author of Breakthroughs in Antipsychotic Medications